It is a remote and isolated village of pretty, stone cottages. But it also has a sad an poignant past, reminders of which glare down from every cottage or lie scattered about the gardens and surrounding fields.
Next to the Parish Church stand a line of houses which share the collective name "Plague Cottages." In one of these in 1665 there lodged with Mary Cooper, a tailor named George Viccars.
There are Haunted Manor Houses that have changed little in hundreds of years.
Wild and bleak moorlands where the "The Devil’s Bonfires" can still flicker in the early hours.
Circles of Standing Stones and windswept barrows litter the hills, testimony to a past dominated by the worship of the Old Gods.